Friday, October 26, 2012

Changes Not So Small

Experienced major changes this week...

Change #1: Leaves
Let me tell you, the northeast knows how to do fall right (the pics don't do it justice). I was sad I haven't been able to go on any nature walks/hikes to see the colorful leaves and was so grateful that I got an eyeful on the drive to the temple. I was really happy when we got lost so we could take the scenic route haha. Going to the temple blesses lives in unpredictable ways :)
View from the entrance of the Washington DC temple
Change #2: Grad School
Got the answer I needed in the temple about big decisions regarding my graduate education. I still need to talk to several directors to make sure my new plan will work...Stay tuned.
Love my visiting teachees :)

Change #3: Dance
I went to 4 different dances/dance classes this week that resulted in a major shift in my dancer identity, which I hold as prominent as my Asian/Mormon/woman/singer/pianist identity.

About a month ago (when I had been sick for a month), I was having major ballroom withdrawals again. So I listened to Jeffrey R. Holland's talk "Remember Lot's Wife" AGAIN, got advice from another BYU Ballroom alum, and bought a pass for 5 classes at Joy of Motion to try other kinds of dances.

Afro-Brazilian/Cuban:

This was my first class :) Unlike my super awkward experience with African dance (see blog post), this was right up my alley! It was like Latin Ballroom except without a partner. We did lots of rib isolations, core contractions, lat/shoulder movements (for lack if a better description), pressure steps, and hip rolls. The only thing I wasn't used to were the huge head movements! Very sore neck, shoulders, lats, abs, obliques, inner thighs, and hamstrings afterwards. I wasn't able to have any pics taken during the class but the instructor and another student agreed to pose some of the moves afterwards :D
Isn't it interesting how we all look different doing the "same" pose?

Broadway Jazz:
I've always loved musical theatre and movie musicals, especially the oldies from 1930s-50s with the likes of Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. So I was super excited when I had the opportunity to start work late and take this morning class!
I only got one good pic but was able to record the routine with the instructor!! (see video on Facebook) It was so fun to feel like I'm [semi]performing again and tap into my theatrical side ha.

Halloween:
By Friday night, I was super sore and tired but couldn't miss out on the multi-ward Halloween dance! So Jessie and I got dressed up and dolled up. I just went as "a more glamorous version of myself" because I wanted an excuse to wear fake eyelashes again hehe. So I just piled on the makeup and Jessie did a great job with giving me a 'fro
My main goal was to be unrecognizable. About half of the people I talked to had to do a double take or hear me talk first before recognizing me. Mission accomplished!
Met up with Melanie. We all just wore what we already owned haha.
Didn't really go there to dance, it was just awesome to see all the creative costumes!

Ballroom:
I was really looking forward to going to the Chevy Chase Ballroom after my first time 5 months ago, but it turned out to be the closure I needed to move on from my ballroom phase. It felt good to dance waltz, foxtrot, Viennese waltz, cha cha, etc. again but NOBODY talked to me or asked me to dance. I've never encountered such cold cliques at a social dance before and was quite shocked. I ended up having to initiate everything because I was there to dance.
When I moved to DC, I mourned that God was forcing me to end my 7 year ballroom career. It never occurred to me that He was giving me a chance to enhance and broaden my dance career!
"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." (1 Corinthians 2:9)
I don't have the time, money, partner, coach, or facilities to compete or perform ballroom anymore. But I've found that I'm able to do the things I enjoy about ballroom in other dances. There are so many reasons I dance and want to keep dancing:
- To learn more about my body and how it works
- To learn how to control my body
- To learn about other cultures
- To learn about American history
- To find new things my body can do
- To magnify the talents God has given me
- To inspire others to step outside their comfort zone
- To inspire others to fulfill their potential
- To earn a dancer’s physique (lean muscles)
- To feel healthy
- To feel beautiful
- To dress up
- To meet new people
- To discover/enjoy new music genres and songs
- To be fit (cardio, strength, flexibility)
- To challenge myself
Most dancers start out with jazz, ballet, and modern as their foundation. I'm doing it backwards! I started out with ballroom and salsa (still doing that), and am now starting to explore jazz, ballet, and modern...all the while trying all kinds of other ethnic folk dances. I'm excited and grateful be able to continue developing my identity as a dancer.

The future is as bright as our faith :)

3 comments:

  1. That leaf picture turned out so beautiful! Thanks for your insights and I look forward to hearing your updates on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! I’m just getting into dancing as a form of exercise so I’ve been adding several dance videos to my Blockbuster @Home queue. The next one that will be arriving in my mailbox is Afro Brazilian Dance cardio, and from how you’ve described it I think I’m going to have a lot of fun! I really hope that this works out since I don’t have time to go to a gym outside of my fulltime job at DISH and I’m fulltime school schedule. I’m mostly hoping that it’ll be a way to let loose and blow off steam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I usually do home workout videos too but I'm trying to branch out and challenge myself. There are so many kinds of home workout videos though, so you can still try lots of new stuff with a busy schedule :)

      Delete